So I have been on the hunt for new dresser for our master bedroom for awhile…probably like 2-3 months. The one we had was an Ikea one we got 5 years ago when we got married. At the time we bought two but when we moved into this house we could really only fit one in our master bedroom. Our house was built in the 50’s so our “master” is extremely small to say the least!! Here is a before picture of our dresser situation…not good (notice the towel covering our wireless router…the lights on it are really bright at night!!)
So back to the hunt…I’ve been looking for a solid wood six drawer dresser for around 2-3 months on Craigslist – I was hoping for free but was willing to spend up to $20. So here is the beauty I found online and it was FREE!!
I knew when we were picking it up that Tom was a little unsure of how this project would turn out but hey it’s free right.
So the first thing I did was wipe everything down and vacuum out the drawers. I took all the drawers out and took all the hardware off. Then I wiped down everything with Klean-Strip Liquid Sander De-Glosser.
I let it set for about 10 minutes then I applied the primer.
Now onto the paint – I just used some paint I had in our shed so it’s the same gray color that’s in my kitchen. Here it is after 1 coat
The dresser came with all the original hardware which was in great shape but I didn’t like the color (brass…yuck) so I spray painted them as well. The paint I used is Rust-Oleum which I love because it doesn’t smell horrible and the smell dissipates really fast! The color was heirloom white…my new love!!
I put two coats of paint on everything and then let it dry for a full day before I put it back together. Once put together I opened all the drawers a little and let it sit outside for another day. I also did a clear coat on the top of the dresser to help make it more durable.
Here is the finished dresser
I love how it turned out and the best thing about the project is my total out of pocket expenses = $0!! I already had all the paint and supplies needed for this project. And the best part was Tom seeing the finished product…he loves it!!
Here it is in our bedroom (sorry for the not so great picture – Tom is gone and has the nice camera this weekend!)
The wireless router is now located in the box – a huge improvement from the towel!
4 thoughts on “Master Bedroom Dresser”
That looks great, Syd! What a nice change from what it looked like before.
When are they going to give you your own TV show. You are amazing!
I bought a buffet for my kitchen and have been searching painted furniture ideas. I love how your dresser turned out. I wasn’t sure when I saw the before picture, but am amazed at the after pic. I’m slowly getting up the gumption to paint my buffet. Thanks for the idea.
I’m glad I have inspired you! Just remember if you don’t like the color you can always repaint it! Yes it’s time consuming but if you don’t like it you can always change it! Good Luck and happy painting!